It’s a good day, you feel like enjoying a walk to your favourite park or neighbourhood café. Guess what? Your old nemesis, and not so dear friend, thigh chafing is back! No matter what you try chafed skin doesn’t leave you alone, right? Well then, read on to find out why?
Friction is the most common reason for all thigh chafing. When your thighs brush against each other, they will slowly strip away your top layer of skin causing epidermal injury. You can also get this injurious effect when your skin rubs against fabrics and materials, from incorrect clothing choices. The condition worsens under certain circumstances, such as extreme heat, high temperatures and high humidity. These generate moisture, sweat and are driving factors that increase significantly the chances of chafe. Thigh chafe can range from a mild rash, with itchiness and a slight soreness, to severely damaged skin, red and pink in colour, painful burning sensation, plasma filled blisters, and in extreme circumstances, bleeding.
For the longest time, people have believed that chafing only happens to overweight people, and in fact larger people were typecast as being the only people who could get chafe. However the truth is, anyone of any weight class, any thinness or thickness can develop thigh chafing if their skin undergoes excessive friction and pressure. Now that we are aware that anybody can get chafing, here are a few causes of this condition:
- Friction from clothing
- Non-absorbent fabric
- Repetitive movements
- Walking for long periods of time
- Exposed skin
- Heat and hot weather conditions
- Water on the body
- Salt and mineral sediments on the skin.
So, do you need to give up all of your activities to prevent thigh chafing in the Gold Coast? With the extreme climatic conditions, and the outdoor life you want to enjoy, how do you find a chafing cure?
Well, you can't stop doing all the activities you love, they are a part of life! However, you can protect your skin while you still keep doing all the things you like to do. When it comes to protection and treatment, there are more misses than hits. Here are a few common problems with the old products which you have may have used.
1. Creams and Ointments - These creams are sticky, oily, greasy and as a result, they are very uncomfortable to apply between your thighs. If you are looking to stop chafe, these creams and ointments will never entirely work. Unfortunately after 10-15 minutes they rub away and after that, they will not have any effect whatsoever.
2. Talcum Powder - Many of us depend upon talc as it is what we were told works, because it removes moisture. But, doesn’t it just rub off immediately? Because it is a powder, if you apply it and start walking, the product due to its physical form, will fall off extraordinarily quickly. Moreover, doctors believe that these powders can cause cancer. Studies today reveal that agents such as talcum powder must be kept away from the groin area as it could be a cause for ovarian cancer in women.
3. Petroleum Jelly - Products such as Vaseline claim to be able to protect the skin from chafing, but realistically they are little better that creams or ointments. It will rub away after about 15 minutes and therefore lacks any protective credibility. These products have no ingredients that explicitly repair the skin through nutrients or vitamins.
The best anti-chafing product is clear then. No More Chafe - Thigh Guards are the only product that provides complete protection under all circumstances. It has a fantastic unique design, moisture wicking abilities and will stay exactly in place through all the fun activities and lifestyle choices you make on a daily basis. They will always be with you and will last for years and years without ever letting you down.