Why do we get chafe? Whenever we fall prey to the dreaded chafing rash, we always ask ourselves, how did this happen? Could have I prevented this? What can I do about it right now? Chafing is one of the most horrible hindrances we can be afflicted with, because it effectively stops us in our tracks, every step we take makes the condition worse, and we don't want to slow down, because all of us have busy schedules and commitments.
While we are always looking at chafing remedies for men and women, it is also important to know what some of the reasons are that make you more susceptible to this torture. Is it some of your habits, your routine or it's just your skin type? There could be many inexplicable and explicable reasons that the chafe keeps coming back to you.
Here are some things that might be causing it for you:
- Clothes that have thick seams - It is not always the material of the clothing that causes chafing, it could also be the seams on the fabric that might be making you miserable. Clothing with thick seams in tight places like the border hem of your shorts could be a legitimate reason for your inner thigh chafe.
- Sitting cross-legged for a long duration - If you have the tendency of crossing your legs for a long time because of work or travel or lifestyle, this could be the culprit for your rash troubles. This increases skin on skin contact, makes you sweat more between your thighs and makes chafe more prevalent.
- Short clothes - Dresses like shorts, miniskirts and short dresses are one of the most common reasons behind the chafe. On a humid day, while you are on vacation, shorts can perhaps make your day very sad. Short shorts or even chafing shorts for women ride up easily leaving the thighs exposed to sweatiness, friction and chafing.
- Not drying your skin completely - Not drying yourself properly because you are in a hurry after you took a bath or a shower, could cost you a couple of painful days. Wet skin and physical activity is a very bad combination for those who are prone to chafing.
- Taking the beach with you! - Yes! The sun and the sand are a great combination for the vacation but not so much for your delicate skin. Letting the sand and salt particles stay on your skin after you hop out of the water will definitely lead to your unpleasant visitor, the dreaded chafe.
- Winter outings - Winters bring dry skin and excessive dryness can leave your skin red, raw and chafed. Inappropriate winter clothing and long hours of walking in the cold irritates your skin and inner thigh chafing happens.
- Poorly fitted clothing - It's not only the tight clothes that cause the rash, but loose clothes like baggy jeans and loose pants also bunch up and create friction in the inner thigh area. This friction leads to inner thigh chafing that can make you very miserable.
- Excessive physical activity - Long-running sessions, cycling trips and spinning classes in the gym can cause your thighs to chafe. These activities make you sweat, the trapped sweat creates softened skin. When skin on skin friction happens, chafing very quickly becomes the end result.
You cannot stop most of the above activities and clothing choices, as they are a part of your life and lifestyle. So, a great way to enjoy life while keeping chafe away, is by wearing anti-chafing thigh bands, they create a physical barrier and stops the skin on your thighs from rubbing. If the skin on your thighs don't touch each other, there is no friction, and without friction, there is no more chafe.